Hair Extensions Cardiff Care Guide


Hair extensions are an excellent way to add length and volume to your mane. It doesn’t matter if you have short, medium, or long hair, hair extensions are a perfect addition to boost your hairstyling game. But just like natural hair, hair extensions also need some kind of maintenance and care to avoid them from damage. After all, you have spent quite an amount on those perfect extensions and you don’t want to ruin your gorgeous new look just by adopting an unprofessional approach regarding hair extension care.

Well, you don’t need to worry about it, we the hairdressers in Cardiff are here to help you in this matter. So let us throw some light on how to take care of hair extensions.

 

Detangling


Always be very gentle while combing or detangling your hair extensions. A wide-tooth comb or detangling brush will be best suitable for this purpose as they run through your hair smoothly. Remember to always start from the ends and then gradually move higher to prevent hair shedding or breakage. In this way, your hair won't detangle and you’ll get a longer life of your hair extensions.


Combing roots


If you’re wearing hair extensions whether it's clip-in or sew-in, always be very mindful of not combing from roots. Because this is the place where your extensions are bonded to your head and if you comb them you might pull them out and cause potential damage. Instead of combing use your fingers to detangle them from roots.


Backcombing


Backcombing of hair extensions is extremely harmful to the overall integrity of your hair and hair extensions. It leaves hair knotted and twisted in such a way that when you try to detangle them, hair extensions might get loose and the joints may dismantle.



Washing


If you have sew-in extensions then wash your hair as often as you normally do but if you have clip-in extensions then washing once a month is fine. This is because the clip-in extensions don’t have natural oils so frequent washing makes them brittle and dry. Brush your hair before washing to avoid tangling. Wash your hair with lukewarm water as it’s a neutral temperature that doesn’t harm your hair extensions. Another important thing to remember, never wash your hair by keeping your head upside down in the shower. This will increase the tangles and hair becomes difficult to manage so always try to wash your hair standing up.


Shampooing


Choosing the right shampoo is very important for the overall health of your hair as well as the hair extensions. Always use a natural or a sulphate-free shampoo specifically sodium laurel sulphate (SLF) as these not only damages the hair but also weakens the bonds.


Conditioning


You must keep in mind that hair extensions are more prone to damage so always use the right products for them. A hair conditioner after every wash is equally important as any other hair care product. But you need to remember that never apply conditioner on the roots as it will cause twists or knots in the bonds. The best way is to apply conditioner on the ends and shafts that’s it.


Drying


Hair extensions need special attention when drying because hot air from a blow dryer causes joints to lose. So always use a cool air stream to make your hair shiny, smooth, and more manageable. We recommend you to keep your hair dried 80% by a blow dryer and the remaining 20% air-dried.


Sleeping


You won't believe it but the major damage to your hair extensions is indeed caused while sleeping. You might be wondering how? Yes because of the constant rubbing against your pillowcase. So to avoid this, always use a silk or satin pillowcase to avoid friction and arrange your hair in a loose bun or plait. This will not only reduce the damage but also give you perfect beach waves in the morning.


Heat Styling


If you want to keep your hair extensions perfect for a longer period then say goodbye to hot tools for styling and opt for heat-free styles. But if it's very necessary to use a curling rod or flat iron then always use a heat protectant spray before styling because that will decrease the chances of potential damage.



Is this guide helpful for you? Please let us know in the comments.

64 views0 comments